Monday, April 18, 2016

Dear Leighton {Five months}


April 18, 2016

Dear Leighton,

Growing, growing, growing….I think this month you are moving out of the true infant stage.  No longer do you just sleep whenever and wherever.  Your little legs are no longer our sweet chicken legs.  And, your personality is growing each and every day.  We are loving this stage and though I am especially sad to have you growing, we are excited to have you more part of our life versus our little tag along.

Your sleeping is still pretty good.  No big complaints.  You always start in your pack n play next to our bed, but once you wake to eat (anywhere between 2-5 a.m.) mama just keeps you in bed next to her.  Some nights that doesn't work so well and you want to rock in the chair to sleep or you just want to nurse the rest of the night, but generally we are doing well in the sleep department.  No more swaddling while you sleep since you are now rolling over.  Boo.  You were so good at sleeping while swaddling too.  And, it's not quite as easy to expect that you'll nap in the carseat or stay asleep when your sometimes loud siblings are around, but at the same time, you are getting more consistent with naps and bedtime so can plan a bit better and know you won't just sleep all the time.

We have had to move you up in diaper size because you were having a lot of blow outs in the size 1's.  We knew it was coming but were hoping to get all the 1's used up first.  Well, we gave up, bought 2's and will be donating the 1's to a new second cousin arriving shortly.  I've also packed away all the 3 month clothes and moved to 3-6 month and even 6 month clothes.  So, you seem to have a whole new (though mostly used) wardrobe these days.  That's been fun to have you wear more of  your sister's clothes…especially now that I think you are looking more and more like your siblings each day.  The chunky thighs too!  But, overall we still think of you as our little peanut since although you are growing a lot, you're still petite to us when compared to your siblings at this age.

I think I've created a bit of a high maintenance little gal.  Oops, didn't mean to but I'm really not that sorry.  I just love to hold you and squeeze you, and now you sort of think you need to be held and always looked after.  It's okay, it won't last forever and for now I will just soak up all your little protests when I try to put you down and I will just keep on holding you tight whenever you request.  Sorry Ms. Debbie and anyone else who watches you, but I'm not changing anything at this point.

That being said, you are really enjoying your exersaucer and being able to play in it.  Pretty much grown out of the bouncy seat!  You are noticing more and more toys and really, really enjoy having something to look at and hold.  Rolling is your new thing and you by far are the best roller we have ever had.  Were your siblings lazy perhaps?  And, not only do you just roll, it already seems like you are rolling to get somewhere to reach something specific.  You just get going and going and don't stop until you hit something, i.e. a table leg or the fireplace.

Mama had to work in Kansas for a week this month and you were lucky enough to travel with her.  You spent an afternoon with our friends Kate, Matt, Evan and Kyle, a day with cousin Luke, "Aunt" Kim, and Matt, and then 3 entire days just you and Grandma Nancy.  I think it was pretty awesome you had that time alone with her.  When we are with her, your siblings and cousins dominate her time but this was a chance for you and her to just chill.

Your relationships with your sisters and brother keeps getting better and better.  Lesley is also close to you, wanting to touch and hold her.  She likes reading to you, and talking to you in a high pitched voice.  She loves you so much and just wants to be around you, though it's still pretty easy to distract her away from you when we want her to just leave you alone.  Leah is like your second mommy.  She carries you around, she likes to get you dressed, she changes your diapers (!!!!), and she protects you from your ornery brother.  Levi also loves you and he will get protective of you, but at the same time he sometimes just want you to go away or want his mama's lap all to himself.  He really does love to make you laugh and tries to be helpful.

We are so thankful to have you in our family!  You are seriously the perfect fit and we can't imagine life without you.
Love you baby!
Mommy

We are still going to see Dr. Brott to get adjusted every few weeks.


Usually you do really well but you also often need a "snack" while we are there.  It's all about timing!



Our Easter Sunday best! 


This is probably one of the last times you were in the seat without being completely strapped in.  Too wiggly and trying so hard to get out!



Rolling over to play with toys....the blanket is necessary because you spit up almost EVERY TIME you roll and hang out on your tummy.

 
A fancy outfit from Grandma Nancy...with a crooked little grin. 
 

"I will eat this cow.  I just need to get my hands to work correctly to get it into my mouth."




Going for a walk, all bundled up because it's Minnesota and the weather is a bit crazy.  Warm, then cold, then rainy, then warm, then cold and snowy.  That's how we roll here.


A rare moment when she took a nap in my arms...while we were waiting for the Notre Dame basketball game to start!  Go Irish!


I told you she was filling in...that double chin!


A blow out!


I think this was the last round for this onsie and it ended up in the trash after 3 or 4 washes with stains still lasting.


Look at his smile, it's pretty obvious that he really does love her, right?
 



2 comments:

Nancy said...

LOVE - LOVE - LOVE All these pictures and smiles! Keep them coming!

Nancy said...

LOVE - LOVE - LOVE All these pictures and smiles! Keep them coming!